"I've escaped it, a life wasted/And I'm never going back again." - Pearl Jam, "Life Wasted"

Friday, December 30, 2005

Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)

- Top 10 moments of my life in 2005:

10. In the outskirts of Hanoi, there lies a river that passes through some breathtaking scenery. I rowed a boat with Josh along it. Would rank higher had we not been conned into buying dumb souvenirs from the boatwoman.

9. Flying business class on Qatar Airways to Doha. Ahhhhhh, the luxurious life. And it's free of charge. *pumps fist*

8. Writing my own fortnightly sports column on our country's national newspaper. I keep thinking I'm getting away with something.

7. Back to Hanoi, in a canoe this time, as me and Josh paddled into an enclave in the middle of Halong Bay, accessible only via a narrow channel. After amusing ourselves with the echoes, we quietened down and felt complete, utter silence. Makes the tough paddling worthwhile.

6. Summoning all my courage, I entered a strip club in London all by myself, much to the amusement of the bouncers at the counter. "What's this fat Asian doing here?" they must be thinking. Priceless moment: my busty hostess cooing "That's so sweet", when I said thank you after her topless act. Don't know when I'll be so brave again.

5. Leading my band into a flawless jam on Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends". Pretty cool.

4. Among a few thousand Arsenal supporters during my sponsored (free) trip to Highbury, watching the Gunners beat my team Liverpool - not a good moment, except when Liverpool scored their consolation goal. Instinctively I shouted "YEAH!!!!!", and saw hundred pairs of eyes staring at me from all directions. Gulp.

3. Writing this blog.

2. The misty beauty of the isles on Halong Bay is one scenery that will forever be etched in my mind. As is the bustle of London Underground, and the dusty reinvention of Doha. I'm privileged to have seen these in my overseas trips this year.

1. Long after I screamed myself hoarse as Liverpool overcame a 0-3 deficit to win the European Cup for the fifth time, as I walked back to the underground car park at United Square, hundreds of Liverpool fans are singing You Never Walk Alone. At 5.30am in the morning. I sang along, on a giddy high after seeing one of the most unforgettable football matches. Everyone's face was filled with happiness, and incredulity at what transpired. It's times like these you learn to live again.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my comments-

1o. Would rank higher simply because of your amusing rants during the trip after getting conned.

5. I din get to sing. I was just hopping around cos i dunno the lyrcis. And at first, I thought it was 'Still haven't found what I'm looking for' until the drummer shut me up.

1:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi hk,

tian from, we met on the boat. stumbled upon your site. hope u dun mind me reading.

didn't know you play in a band?! just shows how much eruption lies beneath a composed surface.

i was in hanoi, halong bay too this year. so awestruck by the romantic mist and stars. would've been perfect if i wasn't pursued by a self-professed romeo in police speedboat.

11:19 PM

 
Blogger Big Fuzz said...

Hi Tian, you are certainly welcome on my blog. Just be careful of possible politically incorrect contents. =D

Yes, it's hard to tell, but rock music has always been my passion.

Chased by a romeo in a police speedboat?? Wow. Would love to hear what happened =)

I love Halong Bay.

1:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My top non-moments of 2005

1. Not meeting Lin Chi-Ling
2. Not meeting Hsu Chi
3. Not meeting A Jolie...

you get the idea.

12:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home