"I've escaped it, a life wasted/And I'm never going back again." - Pearl Jam, "Life Wasted"

Friday, May 27, 2005

Float On

ALRIGHT ALREADY WE ALL FLOAT ON ALRIGHT ALREADY WE ALL FLOAT ON ALRIGHT DON'T WORRY EVEN IF IT GETS A LITTLE TOO HEAVY WE ALL FLOAT ON ALRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Champions of Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omigod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Liverpool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll Never Walk Alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in tears at 5am on Thursday morning. I have supported my football club since the 1986 FA Cup final. I've seen them win the English league, the FA Cup, the League Cup, the Uefa Cup and the Euro Super Cup.

I have never seen them lift the European Cup with my own eyes yet. Until 5am on Thursday morning.

I had made my way to the Liverpool Fan Clubhouse at UE Square, to see Liverpool go 0-3 down at half-time.

Miserable, suicidal, dying for gallons of beer to drown my sorrows.

Then they scored three goals in six second-half minutes. Intense pandemonium broke out at the clubhouse.

Then it's nailbiting time. If AC Milan score again, we'll be dead.

They didn't. So didn't Liverpool. Penalties. Damn, lottery time.

Yet, my team made it. It is as massive a release of joy as I've ever seen. I hugged strangers. Strangers hugged me. Gallons of tears erupted. Songs bellowed out from desperate fans who said at half-time to stay until the bitter end. In the end, it was the sweetest of all victories.

Football. Bloody Hell, eh?

I drove home in my Chevrolet. And just so appropriately, Modest Mouse's unbearably optimistic song blares out of my car hi-fi.

It's nominally the greatest day of my life....until the day I marry my wife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home